This post originally appeared on Entrepreneur.com - #Growing Your Business
In situations where you and your employees need to talk seriously, follow these tips.
2 min read
Opinions expressed by Entrepreneur contributors are their own.
In this video, Entrepreneur Network partner, Kate Volman lays out five tips to help execute diffiult conversations and help your team grow.
- Prepare. Before you enter into a difficult conversation, make sure that you are prepared. To add an extra level of preparedness, consider practicing your speech aloud.
- Keep it real. Volman emphasizes that you don’t need to sugarcoat things. Make your point very clearly and don’t pussyfoot around what you want to say by overloading on niceties. Talk candidly and remind yourself that both of you are human.
- Don’t get emotional. As the leader, you should focus on guiding the conversation and avoiding getting preemptively angry or overly emotional. Once you reach the desired final result, you will thank yourself.
- Understand your employees and then pay attention to your word choice. Learn how your employees work inside their heads, from the way they communicate to how they process information.
- Open the dialogue. By diving deeper into an exchange, you can begin to learn more about your co-workers.
Click the video to hear more from Kate Volman.
Entrepreneur Network is a premium video network providing entertainment, education and inspiration from successful entrepreneurs and thought leaders. We provide expertise and opportunities to accelerate brand growth and effectively monetize video and audio content distributed across all digital platforms for the business genre.
EN is partnered with hundreds of top YouTube channels in the business vertical. Watch video from our network partners on demand on Amazon Fire, Roku, Apple TV and the Entrepreneur App available on iOS and Android devices.
Click here to become a part of this growing video network.